Special Self-funded fee £135; Organisational fee £180
This is a CPD certificate workshop: Earn 6 Hours CPD
A Fiercely Non-Pathologizing Approach to Working Effectively with Trauma.
The essentials of recognising & working with a range of traumatic reactions for Counsellors & Mental Health Practitioners.
This 1-day workshop establishes the empirical frameworks for working trans-diagnostically with traumatised people. For understanding what maintains a person's difficulties and therefore what needs to be done to help a person move forward.
Cutting-edge *but accessible & clinically relevant* research & theory
Clinical strategies & live observation
The Workshop Will Help Delegates:
- To develop a clear understanding of the nature of Childhood & Adult traumatic presentations.
- Understand an accessible psychological theory of PTSD derived from empirical findings.
- Identify the common strategies used to cope with trauma that may actually contribute to the maintenance of PTSD.
- To develop confidence in assessing and formulating PTSD and associated co-morbidity in more complex presentations.
- Identify Acute Stress Disorder, PTSD & Complex PTSD responses & other “co-morbid” problems.
- Develop an accessible understanding of happens in the brain following psychological trauma (an introduction).
- Gain Tools to Normalise post-trauma responses: Reducing stigma; reducing secondary stresses.
- Develop skills in distress tolerance & emotional regulation to help clients move forward.
Live Observation & Practice - Makes this Different from Other Training:
The workshop is highly practical. Delegates will get the chance to observe & practice skills (with a professional actor playing our very credible client attending therapy). We discuss moment–to–moment decisions about the direction therapy should take - unpacking the therapeutic process with real-time demonstration & practice of skills. Plus, other diverse clinical material will be used to illustrate different presentations, real-world challenges & therapy pitfalls.
Who Should Attend: This course is ideal for professionals who want to develop & their practice skills to help clients with a history of trauma. It is also an excellent recap for advanced level practitioners. Whether clinicians are counsellors getting their first exposure to CBT for trauma or seasoned practitioners wanting a refresher, this will satisfy professional training needs. No prior CBT experience necessary.
For workshop Itinerary
Times: 9.30-4.00pm (Venue open from 9.00am- please join us for tea & coffee)
Venue: BPS London Office: 30 Tabernacle St, London EC2A 4UE
The venue is central within London Underground Zone 1. It is within easy walking distance of Old Street, Moorgate & Liverpool Street station.